Second arrest made in robbery of pizza delivery man

Published on Friday, 24 May 2019 19:15
Written by Charles Paullin

@CPaullinNBH

NEW BRITAIN - Police have made a second arrest in the beating and robbery of a pizza delivery man by a group of people in December.

Donovan Coombs, 20, of Hartford was arrested Tuesday and is charged with second-degree larceny, conspiracy to commit second-degree larceny, first-degree assault, conspiracy to commit first-degree assault and first-degree robbery and conspiracy to commit first-degree robbery.

Police arrested Carlos Irving Matias, 19, of Springfield, and a female juvenile who was 17 at the time of the alleged incident on similar charges in January for the incident.

According to the warrants for both men’s arrest, the three were among a group of four people who attacked the delivery man on Dec. 31 in the area of North Street and Erwin Place.

The victim, who was bleeding heavily from the face, was found by an officer on patrol that night, the warrant said. The victim was punched and kicked in the face several times while lying on the ground by three males and the female juvenile, according to the arrest warrant. A bone around his eye and nose were fractured as a result of the attack, and it would be several months before his vision is restored according to an eye doctor, the January warrant said.

Detectives identified Matias and the female juvenile as possible suspects, police said. The identification involved investigating a “Textnow” app used by the female juvenile to place the Domino’s order that makes it hard to track the phone being used, according to the warrant. It also involved video surveillance footage from St. Ann’s School in New Britain and Union Station in Hartford.

Cooperation with police in Bloomfield, where the female juvenile’s foster care family live; the female juvenile’s grandmother, who lived in the area of the robbery; Springfield police, and the female juvenile’s social worker also helped with the identification, according to the warrant.

Coombs was then identified by a person alleged to have knowledge of the attack who picked him out from a photo lineup saying they were certain Coombs was the man as they had been friends for a long time, the warrant for his arrest said.

Coombs was arraigned in New Britain Superior Court on Tuesday. He was ordered held on $150,000 bond because of the nature of the assault and robbery charges, the judge said. If he bonds out he is to have no contact with the victim and must be on 24/7 electronic monitoring except for court appearances and medical emergencies. He remains in custody.

He had four active warrants for his arrest out of Windsor, Enfield and Hartford for charges on disorderly conduct, interfering, larceny and risk of injury, according to the warrant for this arrest.

He is due back in court on June 3.

Charles Paullin can be reached at 860-801-5074 or cpaullin@centralctcommunications.com.



Posted in New Britain Herald, New Britain on Friday, 24 May 2019 19:15. Updated: Friday, 24 May 2019 19:17.